10 Ways to Feel Better Instantly
When you’re feeling a little peaked, unmotivated, stressed out, or just all-around “blah,” you might feel like it’s just too difficult to change your state of mind. Try just one of these steps, and you’ll feel better–both physically and emotionally.
1. Breath does a body good. Take a long, deep inhale through your nose, counting to six. Exhale slowly through you mouth, counting to six. Keep your hand on your belly as it rises. Focus on how the breath feels. When you do this, your mind is focused only on your breath, pushing other worries or thoughts aside.
2. Repeat after me. Decide on a mantra, like the world “calm,” and say it to yourself when you feel tense, stressed, or otherwise unsettled. When you repeat the mantra, you’re focusing on how to make yourself feel better–drawing you away from anxiety or unpleasant thoughts, and other uneasy feelings.
3. Enjoy a cuppa. Studies show that people feel better when they have a warm drink in their hands. So grab a big mug and fill it with your favorite coffee, tea, or hot cocoa. Sit quietly while holding the drink, enjoy the flavors, and sit back while your body and mind relax.
4. Musical release. According to studies, when we listen to music our brain releases dopamine–the neurotransmitter associated with pleasure. So pump up your favorite tunes, dance around the room, sing along, and feel better instantly.
5. Raise the (heart)beat. Get some exercise in. Get your blood pumping, even if it’s just for 30 seconds. Do 30 jumping jacks, run in place, or enjoy a longer workout and sweat away those woes.
6. Go outside. Enjoy the beauty of nature, take deep, rejuvenating breaths of fresh air, observe all the colors, sounds, and smells.
7. Unplug. We often get too caught up in what is going on on Facebook, feeling like we need to reply to emails, or make all those pesky phone calls. Give yourself at least a few minutes of electronic-free downtime. Doodle, paint your nails, stretch, try some yoga, read a book. By doing this, you’ll be living in the moment with yourself, thereby becoming more mindful. The result? Stress reduction and increased happiness overall.
8. Get inspired. Read some positive quotes, look at some pretty pictures, find a few recipes you want to make, places you want to visit, books you want to read. Browsing through things that give you hope or motivation will inspire you to try something new or go do things you enjoy. Don’t know where to start? We’ve got quite the collection of inspiring quotes and healthy recipes on our Pinterest page.
9. Do a good deed. Sign up to volunteer at your local food bank, put some clothes together for Salvation Army, donate $5 to a worthy cause online, connect with a nonprofit on Facebook and share their message to your network. These may be small actions, but doing any type of good can create positive emotions.
10. Clean out your closet. Get rid of those clothes you no longer wear. Dust your shelves. Straighten things up. Creating an orderly space will give you more peace, especially in a part of your home that you use every day. Plus, getting rid of the things you don’t enjoy will make it easier to enjoy and admire the things you love.
What do you do to make yourself feel better?